Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First Day in Germany ... The Ride There

SFO → Heathrow (the new Terminal 5) → played waiting game → Dusseldorf → Hotel. Yup, nailed it in 13 hours flat! Doesn't sound too fast? Believe me, didn't feel fast either :). I will say that I found that I like reading James Patterson. I read "Step on a Crack" and really enjoyed it. I was pretty skeptical of one of the reviews which said "totally gripping and downright impossible to put down", but that's what happened to me too. Finished it about halfway through the flight to London and then crashed most of the remainder of the flight.

Interesting thing happened upon arriving at Heathrow's new Terminal 5. I took the long journey from the plane to the main waiting area. I mean long: on one people mover, then down 3 escalators, onto 1 subway, back up 3 escalators and through security and then once I saw the main concourse (it's pretty huge), I had to go down another escalator and find a seat.








One cool thing was that on the way back up the escalators, their were 2 open elevators next to the escalators - you could see the counterweights and everything. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't. Maybe on the way back.

After getting to the main concourse, I noticed that there was a Gordon Ramsey "Plane Food" restaurant, so I took some shots for posterity. Pretty simple menu I thought, but it looked good.


















After I got to the hotel (having slept the entire flight from London to Dusseldorf), Some coworkers and I went out to dinner. Pretty cool area. Here are some shots of a square that we went to where people hang out in the evening.









Anyway, safe and sound and hoping that I won't wake up jetlagged tomorrow morning at 3am. Here's to a solid night's sleep (or what's left of it, it's 1:20am here now :P.

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP